Saturday 11 July 2009

1st pre-season game

Calverton MW 0-6 Hucknall Town
Arrived at the ground about 2:40pm for this 3:00pm kick-off, and as I was a bit early I thought I'd be clever and move my car a bit nearer to the ground - and would you believe the bloody thing wouldn't start! Bugger.. phoned the RAC and got a deferred appointment so I wouldn't miss the game. RAC partol was booked for anytime between 5 and 6pm. At 5:45 I gave them a call and they told me they had screwed up, and I had been listed as "not found".

To be fair, 10 minutes after the call, I had the joyous sight of an RAC patrol heading up Collyer Road. Diagnosis -- battery was a bit poorly. Well, it wasn't so much poorly as nearly dead! So after a quick jumpstart I nursed the bloody useless banger home - always in fear of stalling.

The RAC then made a home visit to replace the battery - but at a cost. Still, safely home and with a nice glass of Shiraz in hand I can now report on the afternoons entertainment.

Walking to the main pitch it was noticable that the gate was not open, and there were no nets up. The game was to be played on a side pitch, although with two minutes to go there had only been one set of goals erected. I think Calverton missed a trick here, there were an estimated 150 people in attendance, and the club could have made a few bob by charging a couple of quid each.

Kicked of a few minutes late, but it was worth it. Hucknall Town were relegated from the Conference North last seaon, and are now in the UniBond Premier Division. Calverton play in the CML and the gap in class was obvious from the get-go. I didn't recognise many of the Caverton players - we saw them a few times last season, but there were several noticable absentees - Jason Westwood, Warren Hatfield, Baz Paine.....

Of the Hucknall contingent, I recognised Gary Sucharewyzc, Deon Meikle, Antwon Bonwick and Terry Hawkridge and Willis Francis. The visitors looked impressive from the start, but the opposition, to be fair, weren't the best. Gary Sucharewycz opened the scoring on 14 with a far post header from a corner - then Antwon Bonwick netted on 25 with the no.12 adding the third on 38.

Second half saw all 10 outfield players replaced -- not sure of who was who, but they emulated their first half collegues by netting three times -- timed at 67, 70 and 75 minutes.

Finished 0-6, but it could have been 12 - as a game it was no contest, and you feel Town have to get find some stiffer opposition before they face a very difficult season in a very tough league. Calverton looked out of their depth and looked like a team who didn't know each other. I realise that Hucknall are 4 steps above Calvo in the pyramid, and it may be to early to judge, but I fear they may face a struggle in the CML Supreme next season.

Tuesday -- off to Blidworth to see them take on Worksop Tn.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.