Saturday, 1 May 2010

Kirkby Town 0-2 Forest Town

Saturday 1st May 2010 -- CML Supreme Division

Thursday saw both of us waxing lyrical about a minor cup game, then we get this! Under strength teams who are just playing out the season - Kirkby only had one sub, and although Forest Town named two, they were both suffering from injuries!
Kirkby : Whittingham, Leversidge, Thorpe, Walters, Simpson, Taylor, Collier, Hollingsworth, Prentice, Watson N, Watson B. ( Rowley).
Forest Town: Johnson, Castledine, Gregory, Sondhi, Elliott, Holmes, Burgess, Starbuck, McDonald ( Woodcock), Croucher, Mackay. Sub not used: Tighe
Johnson gifted the ball to Nathan Watson on 8, but striker failed to take advantage and blazed wide of the target. In the 11th minute Croucher did well to find McDonald 12 yards from goal, but again the effort flew wide.

McDonald fires wide
Watson managed to get his head to a Hollingsworth cross on 38, but his header failed to trouble Johnson in the Foggo goal. H-T 0-0 -- it was something of a relief to leave the ground to get a cuppa.
Second half had to be better and it was, although not much!
Kirkby no. 4 "Butch" Walters had a great chance to break the deadlock, racing in one-on-one with Johnson in the 49th minute, but the keeper advanced and blocked well. Sondhi had a try from 18 yards soon after, but the effort was tame and didn't overly trouble Whittingham in the home goal. Elliott volleyed over from Castledine's cross on 51 as Forest Town gradually took control of the game.
Hollingsworth's free-kick after 55 was met well in the area by Nat Watson, but again the effort was off target. On the hour mark, Foggo defender Ryan Gregory ran more or less the full length of the pitch before toe-poking a shot just over.

Watson goes close

The visitors pressure paid off in the 79th minute when DOMONIC ELLIOTT fired home from 15 yards after latching onto a ball in from the left.

Elliott celebrates after opening the scoring
With one minute to go, Mackay was upended in the box, and Referee Mr. James Bateman duly pointed to the spot. GARY CASTLEDINE stepped up and slotted home, making the points safe. F-T 0-2
By this time it was starting to rain a little, but halfway home it chucked it down - hail, rain etc .....but when we got back to Hucknall, no trace of any precipitation at all.....strange........
Admission £3
Programme £2
Raffle £1 ( I assume I didn't win!)
Tea £0.75 - a large styrofoam cup that received a big thumbs up from Kev.
H/C 40

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.