Thursday 22 October 2009

Worksop Tn 4-4 North Ferriby Utd ---- more

With Kev working late, I was undecided whether to actually go to this game - and halfway to the ground I realised I had forgotten my mobile. I almost turned around with the thoughts of Real Madrid v Athletico and a couple of G & T's going through my mind.......fortunately I decided, along with 126 others to visit the NMG for this FA Trophy 1st Round replay - it was a belter!!!!

As I pulled up to the ground it was transparently obvious that it was going to be a low gate - no cars parked on the grass verges outside the ground and plenty of room in the main car park...

I paid my £1 to park, £8 to get in and £2 for a programme, before taking up station just in front of the club shop. I was joined by a recently aquired serial hopper friend who I will call "The Bank Manager". Seriously, SteveR is a real fanatical sport fan -- loves speedway with a passion and has been to more football games than I've had hot dinners - and he is off to Wembley on Sunday to see Tampa Bay take on New England in the now traditional annual London NFL game.

Also bumped into Aggedor - not seen him for a while - he asked why I had dropped of the Tony Kempster forum - I've not posted on there this season. I think it seems a bit of a fraud calling myself a hopper when you see what some of those guys on there get up to ......still, it's nice to be missed.....he's off to watch Hayes and Yeading v Staines on Saturday while I'll either be at Field Mill to see the Stags take on Altrincham in the FA Cup or at Eagle Valley to see Arnold v Rainworth -- I don't travel well .......

The game itself was action packed from start to finish, even though the finish was around10:20pm!!

Not much point writing a report, I have added links to the Worksop and Ferriby sites at the foot of this blog entry, they tell the story of the game. I will take this opportunity to praise little Gary Bradshaw, the Ferriby striker wearing the no. 10 shirt.

His hat-trick was superb - the first was in just the 8th minute and was a wonder strike from 25 yards that flew over Worksop keeper Jon Kennedy. His second was on 37 - a towering header from a corner from the right. A fine header, and when you realise that Bradshaw is only 5ft and change, for him to reach the ball between two 6ft plus defenders was nothing short of remarkable. The third was in the 96th minute and was a real solo effort. After collecting the ball out wide, Bradshaw raced away and skipped a couple of challenges before running into the box and firing across Kennedy - brilliant!

The other Ferriby goal was also a fine effort. A corner from the right in the 10th minute was played out to COLIN HUNTER who was lurking on the edge of the box - the no.11 hit the ball crisply through a ruck of players.

So, 0-3 at the break and no chance of a comeback? Don't you believe it. Just 14 minutes into the half RYAN HINDLEY fired home a 20 yard free-kickfor Worksop, then 10 minutes later DANNY BACON tapped home after a goalmouth scramble. With 10 to go, the comeback was complete when TOM JONES rose like a salmon to head home a corner. F-T 3-3.

Then came the Bradshaw hat-trick goal - a goal that seemed to really upset Jones because he appeared to drop the striker on the edge of the box, and was quite rightly dismissed. So 3-4 down and down to 10 men - and your truly saying that there will be no further goals.......err what do I know?
Just as we had thoughts of who can get out of the car park quickest , MATT GLASS tapped home from close range after the Ferriby defence failed to clear a corner. AET 4-4

The first 9 penalties were all superbly struck, and with Ferriby 5-4 up, it was down to, irony of all ironies, Matt Glass...... Ferriby keeper Steve Wilson dived to his left and saved!!! So no "Matt" finish after all..That was the Bank Manager with the classic pun - not me!!!

All in all, well worth making the effort - and I can't praise the Worksop faithful enough -- although not many Town fans were in attendance, a 60 mile round trip on a Wednesday night is not really attractive.


Attendance 127

Admission £8


Programme £2


Coffee £0.80 -- we had two cups - the clever caterers stayed open in anticipation of the extra time... nice cuppa with full fat milk -- lovely......

Saturday - probably Arnold v Rainworth -- Kev's off to Yarmouth for a few days - so I'll be "Billy No-mates " again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.